ISTA Package Testing
International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) Packing Testing details a series of tests which can be used to evaluate the performance of packaged-products. The ISTA series is separated into three categories:
Test procedure 1A is an integrity test for individual packaged-products 150 lb (68 kg) or less.
- Test Block 1: Fixed Displacement Vibration
- Test Block 2: Shock
Test procedure 2A is a partial simulation test for individual packaged-products 150 lb (68 kg) or less.
- Test Block 1: Atmospheric Conditioning -Temperature & Humidity
- Test Block 2: Compression Test
- Test Block 3: First Vibration Test - Fixed Displacement
- Test Block 4: First Random Vibration Test
- Test Block 5: Shock Test
- Test Block 6: Second Vibration Test - Fixed Displacement
- Test Block 7: Second Random Vibration Test
ISTA 3 Series tests are advanced tests and are designed to challenge the capability of the package and product to withstand transport hazards but utilize general simulation of actual transport hazards. ISTA 3A is designed for packaged-products for parcel delivery system shipment 70 kg (150 lb) or less. The ISTA 3A test sequence is separated by package type; standard, small or flat.