DES’s vibration testing services can apply many types of vibration loads along 3 axes using our multiple Electro-Dynamic Shaker Systems. What sets DES apart from other labs is our in-depth experience and technical capability to understand and reproduce the most complicated vibration profiles. When performing our vibration testing services, DES has tested to the most complex vibration requirements on products that are used in outer space, missiles, cars, trucks, military vehicles/equipment, mdecial environments and more. DES is A2LA accredited to numerous vibration test methods under Certificate Number 4998.01. If you have any further questions about vibration testing, please contact us.
What is Vibration Testing?
The types of vibration testing services conducted by vibration test labs are Sinusoidal, Random and Mixed Mode. All types of vibration tests are used to evaluate products for ruggedness, durability and to expose weaknesses.
Sinusoidal Vibration Testing
The types of Sinusoidal Vibration Testing are Sine Sweep Vibration Testing and Sine Dwell Vibration Testing.
Sine Sweep Vibration Testing traverses between low and high frequencies. The G levels and displacements can be constant or variable. It is useful for identifying resonances by comparing response vibrations of the product to the vibrations on the shaker table. Many test specifications use Sine Sweep Vibration Testing to demonstrate the endurance of the devices under test by requiring many sweeps.
Sine Dwell Vibration Testing involves vibrating at a specific frequency and G level amplitude. Typically, the dwells are performed at resonances found in the product under test. However, the sine dwells can be at the frequencies corresponding to equipment running at specific speeds such as reciprocating compressors or aircraft turbine engines.
Random Vibration Testing
Random Vibration Testing is one of the more common types of vibration testing services performed by vibration test labs. Real world vibrations are usually of the random type. Vibrations from automobiles, aircraft, rockets are all random. A random vibration test can be correlated to a service life if the field vibrations are known. Since random vibration contains all frequencies simultaneously, all product resonances will be excited together which could be worse than exciting them individually as in sine testing.
Mixed Mode Vibration Testing
Mixed Mode Vibration Testing is used for simulating specialized helicopter vibration or vibration from tracked vehicles such as tanks. The three mixed modes of vibration testing are:
- Sine-on-Random (SoR)
- Random-on-Random (RoR)
- Sine-on-Random-on-Random (SoRoR)
Sine-on-Random Vibration Testing consists of superimposing sinusoidal spikes over a random vibration profile. A low level of broad band random vibration is mixed with additional high levels of narrow band random vibrations in Random-on-Random Vibration Testing. Sine-on-Random-on-Random vibration testing contains both sine tones and narrow band random peaks superimposed on broadband random vibration.
Why Choose DES for Vibration Testing?
- DES is A2LA accredited to numerous vibration test methods!
- We have extensive technical capability to understand and reproduce the most complicated vibration profiles.
- DES has wide-ranging vibration test experience. We have worked on many products that are used in outer space, rockets, missiles, automotive and truck environments, military environments, medical environments and more.
- DES has multiple Electrodynamic Shaker Systems with slip tables for 3 axis testing, up to 3,000 Hz frequency range, peak accelerations greater than 100g's.
- We are able to control from multiple accelerometer channels. DES has many high-speed data acquisition channels available to measure product response.
- We are quality driven laboratory that is committed to accuracy, thoroughness and a fast turnaround.
Vibration Test Specifications
Some common vibration test standards are:
- ASTM D999 Standard Test Methods for Vibration Testing of Shipping Containers
- ASTM D3580 Standard Test Methods for Vibration (Vertical Linear Motion) Test of Products
- ASTM D4169 Standard Practice for Performance Testing of Shipping Containers and Systems
- ASTM D4728 Standard Test Method for Random Vibration Testing of Shipping Containers
- GMW 3172 General Motors Specification for Electrical/Electronic Components – Environmental/Durability
- IEC 60068-2-6 Sinusoidal Vibration
- IEC 60068-2-64 Random Vibration
- ISTA 2A and 3A Procedures for Testing Packaged Products
- MIL-STD 167 Department of Defense Test Method Standard – Mechanical Vibrations of Shipboard Equipment
- MIL-STD-202 Department of Defense Test Method Standard for Electronic and Electrical Component Parts
- MIL-STD-750 Test Methods for Semiconductor Devices
- MIL-STD-810 Department of Defense Test Method Standard for Environmental Engineering Considerations and Laboratory Tests
- MIL-STD-883 Department of Defense Test Method Standard for Microcircuits
- RTCA DO-160 Environmental Conditions and Test Procedures for Airborne Equipment
- SAE J1455 Recommended Environmental Practices for Electronic Equipment Design in Heavy-Duty Vehicle Applications