Space simulation or thermal vacuum testing is meant for products that are used in outer space, satellites, missiles, rockets or aircraft. Test altitudes can be over 100 miles high. Space simulation testing uses a specialized Thermal Vacuum Chamber or TVAC. DES’s TVAC can achieve high vacuum levels and apply hot and cold temperatures simultaneously with high vacuums.
Why Perform Space Simulation Testing?
As you can imagine, instrumentation and mission-critical components that are used in satellites or space systems are very expensive and take a long time to go from design to manufacture. Before launch, they must be exposed to space-like temperatures and vacuum levels. It is imperative that they are thoroughly tested not just to survive these extreme conditions, but they must also operate properly and be reliable. Failures can be devastating and extremely costly.
DES can perform quality testing and validation for mission-critical components used in a variety of industries including space, aerospace and aircraft.
Our Space Simulation Equipment Capabilities Are:
- High vacuum levels down to 10-7 torr (1,000,000 Feet or 200 miles!)
- Cyclic or constant temperature control from -100°C to +150°C
- 16 x 16 inch thermal plate
- Multiple sealed access ports to allow products to be operational and monitored during testing including power, data, and RF lines
- View window for visual monitoring
- Digital vacuum pressure recording
- Multiple thermocouples for recording thermal plate & product temperatures