Sinusoidal or Sine Vibration Testing is one of the more common types of vibration testing services performed by vibration test labs. See Sinusoidal Vibration Basics to learn more about vibration fundamentals. A primer containing a more technical explanation on sinusoidal vibration testing can be found in our blog article Sinusoidal and Random Vibration Testing Primer. The types of Sinusoidal Vibration Testing are Sine Sweep Vibration Testing, Sine Dwell Vibration Testing, and Sine-on-Random Vibration Testing.
Sine Sweep Vibration Testing traverses or sweeps between a low and high frequency. The G levels and displacements can be constant or variable. It is useful for identifying resonances by comparing response vibrations of the product to the vibrations on the shaker table. Also many test specifications use Sine Sweep Vibration Testing to demonstrate the endurance of the devices under test by requiring many sweeps.
Sine Dwell Vibration Testing involves vibrating at a specific frequency and G level amplitude. Typically the dwells are performed at resonances found in the product under test. However the sine dwells can be at the frequencies corresponding to equipment running at specific speeds such as reciprocating compressors.
Sine-on-Random Vibration Testing consists of superimposing sinusoidal spikes over a random vibration profile. Sine-on-Random Vibration Testing simulates environments for propeller driven airplanes and helicopters. Sometimes Sine-on-Random Vibration Testing is referred to as Mixed Mode Vibration Testing.
Some common test standards that have specifications for Sinusoidal Vibration Testing are:
- ASTM D999 Standard Test Methods for Vibration Testing of Shipping Containers
- ASTM D3580 Standard Test Methods for Vibration (Vertical Linear Motion) Test of Products
- IEC 60068-2-6 Environmental testing Part 2-6: Tests –Test Fc: Vibration (sinusoidal)
- MIL-STD 167 Department of Defense Test Method Standard – Mechanical Vibrations of Shipboard Equipment
- MIL-STD-202 Department of Defense Test Method Standard for Electronic and Electrical Component Parts
- MIL-STD-750 Test Methods for Semiconductor Devices
- MIL-STD-810 Department of Defense Test Method Standard for Environmental Engineering Considerations and Laboratory Tests
- MIL-STD-883 Department of Defense Test Method Standard for Microcircuits
- RTCA DO-160 Environmental Conditions and Test Procedures for Airborne Equipment